I’ve missed cooking.
I mean, i have cooked in the past few months. But not something new. And that has made all the difference.
But today, I decided to try out a new recipe (from my fav, Iowa Girl Eats). And it was well worth it. The man & I curled up onto our couch, watched a new movie (that neither of us had seen before!) and enjoyed a new recipe and a delish bottle of vino.
It felt ah.may.zing to feel normal.
IGE Spinach and Sausage Pinwheels
So here’s what i used (per Iowa Girl Eats … it’s 100% her recipe):
1 pkg frozen spinach (10 oz, defrosted and squeezed dry)
1/2 cup Ricotta
2 oz Crumbled Feta
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Salt
1 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
Here’s What I did:
1. I took two sweet Italian sausages (I am not a fan of hot sausage but I deeply believe that it would -having now had the meal – be delicious), decased them, and cooked the meat up in a sauce pan. Then, I let it cool.
2. I combined the ricotta, feta, squeeze-dried spinach, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and made a nice big bowl of goop. (I happen to love that word. And ricotta. I might have had a spoonful … maybe….).
3. I took the Pillsbury crescent roll dough and rolled it out. Then I cut it in half. And evenly spread the spinach ricotta mixture on both halves of dough.
4. On top of the spinach and ricotta I added the sausage. Then I attempted to tightly roll the dough and toppings. And then I cut them (with a sharp, serrated knife …) into eight pieces.
5. I placed the pieces on a cookie sheet and cooked them for about 15 minutes (they were, indeed, golden brown).
6. The man warmed up and doctored some marinara and we completely enjoyed our dinner snack.
All of the things we are dealing with are difficult … I know that in general, what most people deal with on a daily basis can be difficult. And we all soldier on, because that’s the nature of life.
And yet sometimes, when your house is clean, and you enjoyed a good (and new) dinner and the wine rocked (the man found an out-of-this-world Italian Zinfandel that I will dream about) and work isn’t actually killing you … and you’re snuggled with your amazing husband and puppy … life feels a little normal and a little okay. And that is a true blessing.