Got inspired today, and made a new recipe, which if I recall correctly, I found on a vegetarian website. As I was stumbling through the steps, I could tell that not only was I uneasy about the possible results, but so was the man.
Luckily, we needn’t have worried. It was pretty good. Even the man, whose eyebrows are perpetually raised at vegetarian, gluten-free meals, enjoyed it. Win for me 😉
What you need:
1 1/2 Tbsp Cooking Oil (I used Olive Oil, but the recipe wasn’t specific)
1 large onion, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, cubed
3 cups cubed Butternut Squash (I cheated, and used a package that my grocery store sells)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp green curry paste
1 13.5 ounce can of Light Coconut Milk
2 cups Spinach, firmly packed
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup dry Ancient Harvest Inca Red quinoa
2 and 1/4 cups water, divided
What to do:
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions. Sautée for 5-7 minutes.
4. Add garlic and green curry paste; mix over heat for 1 minute.
5. Add butternut squash and coconut milk. Mix together as you bring to a simmer. Cover with lid, and allow to simmer to 20-30 minutes (squash should be soft to the touch). ]
6. In a medium pan, combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water (or veggie/chicken stock). Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes, until water is absorbed (white line should be visible on individual quinoa).
7. While everything is simmering, combine chopped cilantro and basil with spinach and 1/4 cup water in a food processor. Blend well.
8. When squash has softened, fold in spinach/cilantro/basil mixture.
9. Serve curry mixture over Inca Red quinoa. Voila! Deliciosa!